Below are interviews, podcasts and articles featuring Nathan, organized by media type. For speeches and storytelling video of Nathan, click here. Above photo by Ken Lambert for The Seattle Times.
- The Stranger. The Nicest Guy in Seattle. Feature article in the Stranger's books section; author profile. By Rich Smith. Published December 4, 2019.
- Seattle Magazine. Seattle’s Most Influential People 2018: The Next Generation. Seattle Mag's annual compilation of the city's 35 most influential people includes Nathan. By Naomi Ishisaka. Published November 2018.
- The Seattle Times. “Most Bus Drivers Avoid Metro Route 7; Then There’s Nathan Vass, Who Loves It.” Front-page article profiling the author, and The Times’ most-read article for the week of its publication. By Jessica Lee. Published August 15, 2017.
- The Seattle Times. “Seattle Artist Nathan Vass: Going Forward in All Directions.” Review of a solo show exhibiting the author’s work. By Michael Upchurch. Published June 27, 2013.
- Real Change News. “Reader of the Week: Nathan Vass.” Interview with the author regarding his bus driving, blog, and thoughts on homelessness. By Tricia Sullivan. Published December 11, 2013.
- TED. "Why We Need Strangers: Nathan Vass." TEDxUofW hosts Nathan for a talk about what strangers offer that friends can't. Event held & broadcast May 4, 2019.
- KING 5. "This bus driver is making the most of his route." Broadcast Nov 21, 2018. Michael King interviews Nathan about his new book.
- The Seattle Channel. "CityStream: Metro’s Merry Bus Driver." Broadcast Mar 29, 2018. KIRO, KING, KMTV and freelance reporter Diane Duthweiler interviews Nathan on his attitude and appreciation for serving the people.
- King County. “Secret Identity Metro Ad Campaign: Nathan Vass.” Published 2015-present, in conjunction with billboards, posters, bookmarks & brochures. Nathan is a lead face of this hiring campaign. Ongoing.
- Washington State University. "Nathan Vass on Shooting Exclusively With Film." Produced by Brian Bell for WSU’s Film and Television Communications Department. Published June 17, 2015.
- National Public Radio. "KUOW The Record: Answering your questions about crows, jaywalking, and the bus." KUOW host Deborah Wang interviews Nathan in the studio on a variety of transit-related human-interest topics. Radio broadcast by NPR: KUOW. Broadcast date: July 3, 2019, 12pm PST.
- KVRU. "Nathan on Route 7." KVRU host Simon Kidde, interviews Nathan and Metro's Robyn Austin on the transition of Metro's flagship route to RapidRide. Radio Broadcast by KVRU 105.7. Broadcast date: October 5, 2019, 6pm PST.
- National Public Radio. "KUOW The Record: How far can kindness go? Pretty far, it turns out." [alternate link] KUOW host Ross Reynolds interviews Nathan in the studio on a variety of transit-related human-interest topics. Radio broadcast by NPR: KUOW. Broadcast date: May 24, 2018, 12pm PST.
- National Public Radio. "KNKX Sound Effect: Traffic." KNKX host Gabriel Spitzer interviews Nathan in the studio and on the road, focusing on his connection with the people. Radio broadcast by NPR: KNKX. Broadcast date: Dec 2, 2017, 10am PST. Available on iTunes.
- Seattle Growth Podcast. Season 6, Episode 3: Finding Community in Public Spaces. UW Professor Jeff Shulman continues his nationally renowned podcast interviewing Seattle luminaries on the changing face of the city. Here he talks to Nathan about how shifts in community are realized on transit. Published June 11, 2019.
- Bare Naked Bravery. 042: Empowering Others: Public Transit, Storytelling, Driving a Bus & Making Art with Nathan Vass. BNB’s Emily Ann Peterson interviews luminaries representing bravery from around the United States, usually for half an hour; here she sits down with Nathan for an hour. Published May 16, 2017.
- The Northwest Urbanist. CascadiaCast Episode 6: Nathan Vass. Scott Bonjukian, architect, writer and founder of The Northwest Urbanist, interviews Nathan on transit, urban development, and housing issues. Published March 2, 2016.
- Washington Center for the Book. 2019 Washington State Book Award finalists. Announcement. Nathan's book is a finalist in the non-fiction category. Nathan's thoughts here.
- The Seattle Review of Books. Literary Event of the Week: Susanna Ryan and Nathan Vass in conversation. Paul Constant on the appeal of Nathan and Susanna's books. Published December 2, 2019.
- KUOW Online. This Seattle bus driver decided to be extra nice to his passengers. Here's how it went. Adwoa Gyimah-Brempong adapts Nathan's 2018 Ross Reynolds interview for print. Published November 29, 2018.
- NPR Online. “Bus Driver Finds Beauty in Even the Toughest of Routes.” One of Quirksee’s (a division of NPR) top five most read articles of 2013. By Martha Kang. Published on September 19, 2013.
- The Seattle Review of Books. “Talking with Seattle’s blogging bus driver, Nathan Vass.” By Paul Constant. Published March 2017.
- Here in Seattle. “33 Questions with Nathan Vass, Artist, Photographer, Filmmaker… and Metro Bus Driver.” By William Pennington. Published June 2017.
- Seattle Shines. “Why He’s On Board.” By Holli Margell, for Seattle Shines: a Look at the Unexpected Beauty and Unsung Heroes of Seattle. Published March 11, 2016.
- Erica Weiland. An Interview with Nathan Vass – Part 1, and An Interview with Nathan Vass – Part 2. By Erica Weiland. Published June 24 and July 8, 2014.
- Have You Nerd? “5 Blogs that I Love (That you just might too).” By Virginia Eader. Published September 8, 2013.
- The Sunbreak. “‘Here We Go!’ Riding with Metro Operator Nathan Vass.” [stand by for link update] By Lucas Anderson. Published February 8, 2010.